THE GEMS MIX
This is the mix all of our rats eat here at Pacific Gems Rattery! I love making my own mix and it’s based on the Shunamite diet from Isamu Rats. With the help from Alison Campbell I was able to adapt the Shunamite Diet with ingredients found in the US. I also feed my rats fresh food 4 to 5 times a week.
The rats are thriving on it, have beautiful shiny coats and there’s never one bit of the mix left when I check the next day. It is packed with nutrients, antioxidants and it’s kidney friendly! It gives variety and lots of enrichment.
I cannot emphasize enough that if you are interested in rat nutrition and The Shunamite Diet you should definitely purchase the book The Scuttling Gourmet by Alison Campbell. It’s a must read if you want to develop your own mix and to understand the rat’s different dietary needs throughout their life stages. You can find the book here https://shunamiterats.co.uk/services/
You can also join THE SHUNAMITE DIET USA group on Facebook to learn more about how to make your own mix.
For pre made mixes, Dr. Squiggles vitamins and supplements, single grains, herbs and toys visit the store THE NATURAL RAT.
This is the original Isamu Mix based off The Shunamite Diet. I have adapted this recipe with ingredients that are available in the USA.
My mix is based on:
55% Base Mix (Straight grain and Horse Muesli)
25% Processed Grains (Pasta and low sugar cereal)
10% Protein (Dog kibble, dried fish, dried worms)
10% Dehydrated Vegetables and Oily Seeds
INGREDIENTS IN MY MIX
BASE MIX (55%) (11 scoops)
- 4 Scoops Cavalor Fifty Fifty Horse Muesli
- 4 Scoops Versele Laga IC Black Label Pigeon Mix
- 2 Scoops Rolled 9 Grain Cereal
- 1 Scoop Split peas
PROCESSED GRAINS (25%)(5 Scoops)
- 2 Scoops Pasta (I use Eden Organic Vegetable Spirals)
- 2 Scoops Cereal (I use Ezekiel Original Cereal with 0 sugar)
- 1 Scoop Ryvita Crackers or Rice Crackers
PROTEIN (10%)(2 Scoops)
- 1 Scoop High Quality Fish dog food (Core Wellness, Innova, Canidae or Wild Earth Vegan Dog food)
- 1/2 Scoop Dried Flygrubs
- 1/2 Scoop Red Lentils
DEHYDRATED VEGETABLES AND OILY SEEDS MIX (10%)(1 scoop dehydrated veggies and 1 scoop oily seeds mix)
(You can easily dehydrate your own vegetable at home by just using your oven. Sometimes I do use Canine Caviar Synergy Dehydrated Vegetables Blend (found on Amazon)).
Red/Green/Yellow/Orange Sweet Peppers
OILY SEEDS MIX
EXTRAS (just a handful)
Dried porcini mushrooms
Shredded non sugar coconut
Freeze dried green lipped mussels
Dried Minced Garlic
Dehydrated Salmon Skin
HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN MIX
Just follow the Isamu recipe in the picture with the adapted US ingredients listed above. Use 5% for each scoop (i.e. for the Base Mix that is 55% it equals to 11 scoops). Here's a list of the suppliers for all of the ingredients I use:
- The Natural Rat - All grains, oily seeds, Cavalor, Versele Laga pigeon mix and vitamins.
- Azure Standard - All grains, oily seeds, pasta, crackers and cereal plus extras can be found here.
- Chewy - You can find the Cavalor Fifty Fifty Horse Muesli and dog food here.
-Nursing moms and babies up to 4 months - free feeding (food should be available at all times. Refill their bowls daily to the rim)
-Adults and Senior rats - 15g to 20g per rat (scatter feed or use a bowl).
There is no set rule on the exact amount to be fed but 15g is a good starting point. Keep a close eye on your rats and if they are loosing weight increase the amount and if they are getting too chubby than decrease the amount. I feed all of my rats at night and don't top off their bowl until the next feeding.
You'll need to add vitamins to make the mix complete. In the US we have the exact same Vitamin as in the UK which is made by Dr. Squiggles. You can find the vitamins here THE NATURAL RAT.
The vitamins available here are:
- Dr. Squiggles Daily Essentials 1 - to be mixed with drinking water
- Dr. Squiggles Tiny Animal Essentials - powder to be added to fresh food
- Dr. Squiggles Calcivet Liquid - to be mixed with drinking water
- Dr. Squiggles Calcivet Powder - powder to be added to fresh food
Follow the directions from Dr. Squiggles to feed the vitamins:
To be mixed in the drinking water bottle:
- Dr. Squiggles Daily Essentials 1 - one scoop to 400mls water daily or 2 1/2 scoops for a 1.5 liter bottle. Give at least 3 times a week. Can be given daily if desired.
- Dr. Squiggles Calcivet Liquid - give at least 3 times a week to non breeding rats (adults and seniors) and up to 5 times a week to pregnant, nursing moms and babies up tp 12 weeks of age - 10mls to 20mls to 1 Liter of water or 0.1ml per 100g of body weight. Can be used together with Daily Essentials 1. When giving the liquid form of calcium allow one rest day in between doses so give Monday/Wednesday/Friday (this applies only to non breeding rats).
To be mixed in the fresh food:
- Dr. Squiggles Tiny Animals Essentials - 2 pinches per rat. Mixed with soft wet food or sprinkle over vegetables and fruits.
- Calcivet Powder - 6 pinches per rat. Mixed with soft wet food or sprinkle over vegetables and fruits.